Saturday, July 19, 2014

Have We Got a Party for You, Warner's 2 | Veggie Tales Party

Veggie Tales are Warner's favorite thing, my dad has gotten him several plush Veggie toys and W sleeps with Larry every night. He loves to sing the theme song and watch a show whenever we let him. There were other party themes that I thought I wanted to do... I really wanted a pirate birthday, especially since we live right on the water, but most of the activities I found online for a pirate party really lended themselves for 3+ years olds... so it was a natural progression into a Veggie Tales party. There is not much to find on Pinterest or otherwise for a Veggie Tales party. There is a line of party supplies that you can purchase online, but personally I am not a fan of all the character party themes, especially the mass produced character plates, cups, napkins, favors, etc., I much prefer a handmade and personal touch. So, I had to take it upon myself to do a lot of online searching and being creative to make this party work.

I created a pinterest board with a bunch of ideas and inspiration and went from there. I was so proud of myself for being able to come up with original ideas as well as copying things that I found.

I chose my menu with kids in mind, we planned for 11 kids + parents, and I did not have an unlimited budget so I kept it simple (for me.) We had:

North Carolina BBQ (I tweaked this recipe)
Pasta Salad (recipe post to follow)
Veggie Tray
Chips & Homemade Salsa
Fruit Salad (we didn't actually have this because I ran out of time and I didn't prepare in advance)
Oreo Truffles (covered in green candy melts which I intended to decorate as the French Peas, but again I ran out of time so we just had plain green)
Jr Asparagus Cake (boxed cake, canned frosting)
Madame Blueberry Punch (blue hawaiian punch, lemonade, ginger ale, frozen blueberries)


We had friends from 7 years old down to a few 5 month olds, so I wanted to have plenty of activities around to occupy all the kids. Cody thought I was crazy, until I explained that I certainly was not expecting to gather everyone together to do an organized activity, but rather let them come and go and do things on their own time.

Activies Included:
King George's Duck Pond (baby pool with rubber ducks - idea found here)
Pirate Who Don't Do Anything water table (birthday gift)
iPad playing Silly Song playlist
(planned on having) Coloring pages
"Plant Your Own Cucumber" (painting station with biodegradable seed pots to decorate that doubled as favors)
Veggie Bowling (inspiration here, but used a bowling set which I painted into veggie characters myself)

I used $1 store plates, napkins, utensils, cups in green, red and yellow. I would've loved to do crepe paper in those colors and balloons, but we just didn't bother with that.

I also made my big 2 year old a (way too big) tshirt, and welcome poster for the door.

Ultimately, we had a great time with great friends and Warner felt loved and special. He was so upset when his friends left. I am so thankful for the amazing group of friends we have, and that they all have kids around the same ages as ours so all the kiddos have a built in set of friends. They all love each other and it's so great to have a village of love and support in this parenting adventure.










No comments:

Post a Comment